2.22.2010

Favorite things.


I've always had a deep appreciation for all things British.  I've been listening to The Beatles since I was in diapers and watching British films almost just as long.  I love having tea and listening to Coldplay and Lily Allen.  I love the history and the accents.  


I was lucky enough to visit London a few years ago and my time there convinced me that I need to live there at some point in my life.  I noticed recently, that over the past 2 years or so I've become even more obsessed with my friends from across the Pond... Their culture, their music and humor.  So here are a few of my favorite British (& Irish) things:


~


The Graham Norton Show  
He's a late night talk show host who has a show unlike any that we have here in America.  He's witty, slightly scandalous and best of all he's FABULOUS.  Here is a silly little clip from his show... Oh and if you get BBC America, check him out on Saturday nights at 10pm!







The Catherine Tate Show  
It's a one woman sketch comedy show and it's completely hysterical. One thing that I really love about British humor is that they aren't always so "politically correct" the way were are here in America. They aren't afraid to just be funny. Here is one of my favorite clips from her show!









British Literature  
My favorite book in the whole wide world is Jane Eyre.  I've also been enjoying Dickens, and most recently I've been reading a book called Rebecca by Daphne du Mauier (it's amazing btw).  I found these really cool editions of some of my favorite books at Anthropologie.  Aren't they pretty?  You can buy them HERE!





British music  
I've always loved the music that comes from the UK... The Beatles, Coldplay, Lily Allen, Elton John, etc.  But I've recently discovered some new artists (at least new to me) and they are quickly becoming some of my favorites!  I just can't stop listening to them!



Imogen Heap
Her voice is haunting... I just can't get this song out of my head!



MUSE
All of their music is wonderful to me and I can't wait to see them in concert this April!  



Lisa Hannigan
She's from Ireland and is most famous for singing alongside Damien Rice. Unfortunately, her solo work isn't very famous stateside so this is the closest thing to a music video I can find for her song "I Don't Know."






Extras  
I've known about this show, starring Ricky Gervaias, for a while but only just recently started watching. THIS SHOW IS AMAZING! Why didn't I start watching sooner?



Once
I've actually enjoyed this movie for a long time now. If you haven't seen it, you MUST! It's an amazing story and the music in it is so beautiful... Here's the song "Falling Slowly" from the movie. It's so pretty!



~

So there you have it. Those are my current obsessions. I'll be sure to write more on the subject when I move there... One day!





No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.