3.09.2009

The Alchemist.


I'm a bit of a bookworm.  I usually read one to two book a month, and I've come to discover that it's not everyday you find a book that contains so much wisdom that you want to re-read it immediately after you've just finished it.  This happened to me once I finished reading The Alchemist last week.  The book is an allegory for every man's desire to follow his dream-- even when the world makes it difficult to do so.  It's about treasure that you can only find deep within your soul.  After reading The Alchemist, I was reminded that when your heart is in the right place, God will never stop leading you toward success.

Here are some of my favorite passages from the book...

"We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it's our life or our possessions and property.  But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand."

"Because I don't live in either my past or my future.  I'm interested only in the present.  If you concentrate always on the present, you'll be a happy man.  You'll see that there is life in the desert, that there are stars in the heaven, and that tribesmen fight because they are part of the human race.  Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now."

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.  And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity."  

No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.