Do I really want to move to Fort Worth in the fall? No. Will I move there if TCU gives Chad an offer he just can't resist? Yes. I was telling a friend at work that Chad got into Texas Christian University for grad-school, but we were waiting to hear what they can offer him. My friend then asked me if I was going to go along with him if he leaves... Seriously? He's my husband! Of course I'd follow him there... Even if it is Fort Worth, Texas.
I used to hate Las Vegas. I absolutely couldn't stand living here. I hate how hot it gets in the summer. I hate how all the houses look exactly the same. I hate the dust and the wind. And I hate that when you tell people you're from Vegas they automatically assume you're a crazy alcoholic stripper who gambles all the time. No, sir I'm not crazy. I'm not a stripper. I don't gamble and I don't drink excessively.
All of the things that made me hate this town changed when I moved to California last year. The six months I spent there put a lot of things into perspective for me. It made me realize just how important it is to have family near. It made me miss my friends. It also made me realize that LA was no better than Vegas. The people went clubbing just as much. The weather was almost as hot (just with 70% humidity). And the people just seemed fake to me. Somehow living there made me miss Las Vegas. It also helped me grow up in a way. For the first time ever I found a job all on my own... No help from anyone! I stepped out of my comfort zone and made some great friends. And in a lot of ways I became my own person.
Some days I do miss California. I miss being 10 minutes away from the beach. I miss working in a Michelin rated restaurant. I miss hearing the coyotes at night. And oh my goodness I miss Sunday lunches at Malibu Seafood! But all those things are useless if you don't have family there to share them with. Yes, Chad's my family. But I've come to figure out that for me at least, I need to live within close proximity to my parents. I don't know how some people can live on the other side of the world from their family. Because I don't know how I'd survive.
With all that said, if it's God's plan for us to move to Texas then so be it. I know I'll find some happiness there. No, it isn't where I always thought we'd end up one day. But neither was Vegas and now I love it here. Chad and I are both so torn on the matter... Especially Chad. He wonders if he should just jump on whatever offer they give him because at least he'd be starting school. Or, would it be better to stay in Vegas one more year, save a good deal of money, re-take the GRE (hopefully do much better), and apply to the schools he actually wants to go to? My prayer is that God shows us clearly what He wants us to do. Because I'd hate for us to make the wrong decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment