2.05.2009

the flu.

After four days of feeling like at any moment I could die, I am finally starting to feel better. Late Saturday night I came down with the flu. I've had the flu before but, I KNOW I've never had the flu like this. It was terrible. I wasn't joking when I said I thought I was dying. By six AM Sunday, I woke up with the chills, body aches and a fever of 102. The icing on the cake was that Chad wouldn't be home until one in the afternoon. So, I proceeded to fall in and out of the worst sleep I've ever had for the next five hours. Each time I woke up to look at the clock I prayed it would read one o' clock. It seemed like the longest morning of my life. Its really hard to describe what the body aches were like. It was almost like something was clawing at my bones until they flaked off like chalk. It hurt to sneeze. It hurt to blink. It hurt to breathe. I was miserable.

Now, I don't mean to sound like a baby... But not having someone to take care of you when you're sick really sucks. Chad FINALLY came home at one. When he saw my condition he ran to the store and got me flu medicine. And after dropping it off to me Chad said he had to go. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE TO GO?!" I said with tears filling up in my eyes. Chad then explained to me that he had prior commitments to help his little brother with a school project that afternoon. I was devastated. All day I'd been waiting for him to come home. And now he was leaving me?

I spent the next four hours on the couch with a box of tissues wondering when the pills would start helping. Finally around eight that night Chad arrived home. By now of course (since I'm apparently bitchy when I'm sick) I was in no mood to talk to Chad seeing how he ditched me-- his poor, ill wife when all she needed was companionship... And maybe someone to make her tea. But all was well in the world when I finally stepped out of the bedroom to find he bought me a bouquet of flowers, orange juice and some Vick's Vapor Rub. I mean, nothing says "I'm sorry" like Vick's Vapor Rub, right???

No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.