1.18.2009

I hate eggs.

In case you didn't know I happen hate eggs with a passion.  Just thinking about them makes me a little sick to my stomach.  When I was five I got salmonella from some eggs I ate.  I was in the hospital for a week.  Hooked up to monitors, kept in a glass case, doctors constantly drawling blood...  I felt like an alien.  I kid you not when I say they kept me in a glass case.  It was a normal hospital bed that was completely enclosed by glass.  That way I couldn't contaminate anybody or anything.  Of course, being 5 I just looked at it as mean doctors not letting me play with my siblings or hug my parents.  It was pretty traumatizing for a kid my age, and ever since that little experience I don't eat eggs, I don't do hospitals, and I DON'T do needles.    

One of my favorite pass times is cooking.  And my hate for eggs makes so many recipes difficult for me.  Especially when it comes to baking.  Do you know how hard it is to find a decent eggless cake batter?  Needless to say, I am constantly looking for eggless recipes.  Today I found one that actually worked out pretty well.  Of course since I can never seem to stick to a recipe I changed the jam to apricot, for the nuts I used slivered almonds and instead of 2 tsp. vanilla I used only 1 then added 1 tsp. almond extract.  Enjoy!   


Thumbprint Cookies

1 pkg. (8 oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/4 cup raspberry preserves

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla with mixer until well blended.  Add flour, baking soda and pecans; mix well.  Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls.  Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets, then indent centers.

Bake 10 min.  Fill each cookie with about 1 tsp. preserves.  Bake 8 to 10 more minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheet 2 min.  Remove to wire rack and cool completely.  




No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.