My dad is quite possibly the coolest person I know. He loves baseball. He loves classic movies. He loves The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel. (He's the reason for my great taste in music.) He did lots of crazy things in the 60's -- all of which he will openly tell you about. He is caring, sensitive, funny and smart. Most importantly though, he love God. He is everything a dad should be and I have been so blessed to have him as my father.
When I was in 6th grade my family life started falling apart. My parents wouldn't stop fighting. Then one day my mom left. She went off with another man she met and was living a "dream life" with someone who wasn't my dad. My dad was crushed. He was miserable and depressed and although he didn't know this, it made me love him even more than I already did. He was my dad and my mom for some of the most awkward and uncomfortable years of my life. I'm not entirely sure how he managed to work and raise 2 young daughters all at the same time, but he did.
Five years passed and my mom started coming back into the picture more and more. In those 5 years, I became a Christian. My younger sister started coming to church with me... Then my mom, and eventually my dad started coming along, too. In a matter of just a few months my family had all been baptized (save for my brother in Jersey-- But we're still working on him!) and we felt "whole" again.
One day, during my junior year of high school, my parents sat me down to tell me that they were still in love and that they wanted to get remarried. I was shocked. How could my dad take my mom back after all that she put us through? But then I realized that what my dad was doing was following in the footsteps of Christ. He was forgiving the unforgivable. He was doing something that most men (and women) would never do. Not only did he wait 5 years for my mom to return, but he forgave her for leaving us.
Since they've remarried, my mom has become the most humble woman I have ever met. My dad has showed me what true love is all about. How forgiving is easier than holding grudges. How love conquers all.
My dad is my hero. He is the best dad a girl could ask for and I am so blessed to be his daughter! Happy Father's Day, Dad! I love you with all my heart!
No comments:
Post a Comment