6.23.2009

Homemade Applesauce




8 large red apples -- I quite like Gala apples, peeled and sliced
1 lemon, juiced
2 T. honey
3 c. water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. sugar

Fill a large pot with 3 cups, cold water. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the water.
Peel and slice 8 apples. (After each apple is peeled and sliced I like to put them right in the pot so the lemon juice and cold water keep the apples from browning.) Boil for about 20 minutes, or until the apples are nice and soft.

Once the apples are finished boiling, strain them and put into a crock-pot. (I have the cutest "mini" crock pot that I picked up from Target for $10... It's wonderful for side dishes like this!) Add the honey, vanilla extract, ground ginger, cinnamon and sugar. Stir together until the seasonings cover all the apples. Take a potato masher, or large fork and mash away, until the apples are broken up a bit. I keep them set on "low" until I'm ready to serve.

If you're a bit adventurous, try adding 1/4 cup of dried cranberries and sprinkle with pecans... Its SO good!

Enjoy!




No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.