4.26.2009

Prioritize.

Sitting at my computer...  Sipping calm tea... Chad reading Dan Brown in the background...  Life is good right now.  Tonight, I finally found time for myself.  I'm always feeling as if I'm running out of time.  In fact, this is the first time in weeks that I've had more than 10 minutes to try and blog.

I tend to neglect my own needs.  Between my husband, work, my dog, my parents, the in-laws and my close friendships (some of course requiring more attention than others), I tend to have very little time to myself by the end of the day.  I think what's so hard is that so many of my friends and family live out of state, and I'm NOT a "phone person".  I'm usually a pretty good "email person", but I'm even finding email correspondence to be hard these days.  

Lately, I feel obligated to call people back, visit with friends and to get that email (finally) sent.  I feel so bad, because relationships are so important to me.  I mean, I thrive off of being around people.  The relationships I've built with my friends and family have always been the most important thing to me.  I feel selfish for actually putting this in to words, but I just want to be left alone.  Does that sound bitchy?  Of course I don't mean leave me alone forever.  All I mean is that if I don't answer the first time you call, please don't call me 5 more times that day.  I'll get back to you, I swear.  It's not that I don't want to see my friends and spend time with my family.  Because believe me, I love spending time with them all.  It's just hard to prioritize my relationships with people when I can't even prioritize what I'm going to do first when I get home from work.  

All I want is one full day of staying in my PJ's watching Arrested Development and drinking mimosas.  Is that too much to ask?  

So, to anyone who I've flaked out on or not called back in the last week or two, I'm sorry.  I promise I'll make time for you as soon as I can make time for myself.     

That felt good... Thank God for blogging!       

No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.