4.16.2013

Life is beautiful.

There are times when life seems to stand still, even if only for a moment.  This happened to me yesterday when I read about the horrible tragedy in Boston.  It also happened this past December upon learning of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.

When terror and tragedy strikes, my stomach churns and my initial feeling is always an overwhelming sensation of sadness.  The sadness is usually followed by a rush of fear and then both sadness and fear somehow mix within me, and an uneasy feeling lingers with me for days. 

It's easy to focus on all of the questions which inevitably arise after tragedy.  But in moments like these, when it's almost too easy to focus on the negative, or the evil, or whatever you'd like to call it, I choose hope.  I choose faith in humanity, and I choose to focus my mind on the good in the world and to remember that there is beauty and joy everywhere we look.

There were dozens of terrified people yesterday who ran straight toward where the bombs went off in hopes of assisting those who were injured.  Upon hearing these stories of human good, I do wonder if I myself would have been that brave.  I would like to hope so. 

In the midst of the evil which took place yesterday, heroes emerged and that brings peace to my heart.

Like many others, after hearing of yesterday's events, I needed to find comfort and I needed a reminder that the world in which we live is still beautiful.

In times of sorrow I always fall back on these beautiful words, written by one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis. 

No comments:

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.