2.20.2011

Community.

Today I thought I'd do a bit of shopping for the new place we're moving into next week.  On my way to the store I found a little farmer's market which I never knew existed.  It was such a wonderful surprise to be driving down Eastern Avenue one minute and then suddenly I'm walking around a market surrounded by people and their pets, while listening to a man play the cello for tips.

One thing that I really love about being at the farmer's market (any farmer's market) is not only the nostalgia of it all, but also the sense if community you feel when walking from stall to stall.  I met a woman today who was walking her Papillon and we talked for nearly 10 minutes about how much we love the breed.  Then I came across a woman selling lavender scented eye masks who ended up being my yoga instructor's daughter.

In a city like Las Vegas, where phony people seem to come and go all the time, you forget that we live in a community that isn't only comprised of glitz and glamor. We do in fact live in a community.  A community where you can meet a perfect stranger who shares the same affinity for a particular dog breed as you.  Or you might find a lady selling silly eye masks who turns out to be the daughter of someone you've known for years.  In a city of nearly two million people that feeling of community is always refreshing.

Enjoying an afternoon like today reassures me that no matter how much I sometimes complain about hating Las Vegas, it might just have a few redeeming qualities after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how i love farmers markets!!! It's so true, no matter where you are in the world, they can always seem to provide that sense of community. Hope the move is going well for you both! miss you!!

Lorene said...

Thanks Lydia! Miss you too!

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.