12.24.2010

Christmas Eve.

Bayberry candles, hot chocolate, black and white films, hearty food and church are all things that make me think of Christmas Eve.  Christmas Eve is definitely tied with Thanksgiving for my favorite days of the year.  It's full of excitement and traditions.  I absolutely love this day!      


Christmas Eve has always been an extra special day for us because that's when Chad and I started dating.  So, as of today, Chad and I have been together for seven years.  I seriously can't believe it's been that long.  7 years?  That's almost a decade!  


Chad has been at work all day and he is in for a treat when he gets home tonight!  I'm making Jamie Oliver's Turkey and Sweet Leek Pie, mashed potatoes and peas.  And for dessert we'll be enjoying cookies that were sent to us by my cousin from Montana, CL.  (Thanks CL!)


Then we'll drink hot chocolate and watch It's a Wonderful Life before heading over to midnight Mass.


There is something so special about going to midnight Mass for me.  It reminds me of being very young in New Jersey, and going with my grandparents.  I remember being small and thinking how beautiful the candles were.  I remember always falling asleep before it was over and being bundled up and carried back to the car.  Going to midnight Mass makes me feel somehow close to my grandparents.  Like they are there with me to celebrate this very special holiday.


I hope that whoever is reading this is having a wonderful holiday season!


Merry Christmas!



    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this sounds like a wonderful christmas eve!!! I would loved to have been there and sampled your cooking :) :). miss you, friend!

my info...

My photo
Wife of an academic. Lover of wine, coffee and yoga. Occasional blogger.